frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Here are answers to some common questions we are asked!

How do I qualify for funding?

  1. Be a member whose name appears on the Membership list controlled by the Samson Cree Nation.
  2. Be accepted for enrollment at a recognized post secondary educational institution for a program of studies.

How do I apply for funding?

1. You must be a Samson Cree Nation Member who has been accepted into a post-secondary program.

2. Fill out the post-secondary application form and provide all required documentation. (Please refer to our “Apply Now” page for the list of required documents)

2. Fax completed applications to (780) 585-3857 or mailed them to:

Nipisihkopahk Education Authority
Attn: Trevor Swampy or Allyson Dennehy
Box 658 Maskwacis, AB T0C 1N0

Or email Trevor at

4. Wait until mid July to early August for results.


I missed the deadline. Can I apply late?

Applying after the June 15th deadline is not recommenced as applicants who apply after the deadline are only considered if funding is available.

What if I failed a course?

PSSSP will pay for the failed course a second time but the student must pay for it if he or she takes it the third time.

Can I withdraw from a course?

Students must not withdraw fifty percent or more of their classes in an academic year, If a student withdraws a class he or she must inform the coordinator and withdraw before their institutions withdraw date.

How much time do I get to complete my program of studies?

Certificate : 10 months. No part-time studies permitted.

Diploma: 16 months

Degree: 32 months

After degree: 16 months

Professional degree: 24 months

Master: 24 months

Doctorate: 24 months

Please Note: if an extension is required a letter from the faculty/Dean or advisor is required and will be assessed by the Post-secondary coordinator


Does PSSSP cover Adult Upgrading?

Adult upgrading is referred to Samson Human Resources and Training & Development.

Does PSSSP cover Trades?

Trades will be referred to Samson Human Resources and Training & Development.


Do I have to re-apply for the winter semester?

Yes, for continuing students, you must fill out an application, submit your winter class schedule and tuition fee assessment before November 15 and send in your Fall grades by January 15.

Does PSSSP pay for my tuition deposit?

For new students not yet accepted into the post-secondary program must pay the tuition deposit and after approval into the program will get reimbursed. 


Does PSSSP help with computers or laptops?

Unfortunately not. Please see our scholarship or bursary page to help find additional financial student supports.  Or if you have the highest g.p.a from high school, college diploma, or degree programs you may be eligible to receive one at the Samson Education Trust Fund Annual Awards Night.


Am i allowed to switch my program of studies?

The Post-secondary program does not encourage switching programs. Students must share with the coordinator their education plans. Please refer to the Direct Education Pathway concept for the programs education perspective.

How much do I get for incentives?

Incentives fall under the Nipisihkopahk Iyinisiwin Trust Fund (NITF). Please follow up with Louise Omeasoo, NITF Coordinator